Friday, March 10, 2006

Buh-Bye to Bottled Water

So I've been hearing these crazy ideas lately that bottled water is bullshit. People have always said that, but they are also the people who don't think green is an appropriate color for food. Then a co-worker brought in the Otesha Project book and it had a whole section on water. It made some very interesting and convincing points, but I still happily slugged down my bottled water and would occasionally do tap (really just when it was convenient for me). Then I found this article while surfing (do people say that anymore?) the net. Okay, okay, I get it now.

The standards for bottled water are LOWER than tap water. Say it with me, What the fuck?! Then look at the amount of money we are spending on bottled water, add up all the extra oil used to make the plastic bottles, then toss in the plastic waste because nobody recycles and you have a major issue. Ten years ago, water was water. Only pretentious asses ordered bottled water. Now, some people are freaked out (I still am a little) about drinking tap water. The people in Kenya (where it hasn't rained for four years) must be laughing their asses off at us. We have access to water in our very own kitchens and bathrooms and it is pretty much just gushing at us from every point and what do we do? We go buy it. Some people in Africa walk miles to get a gallon of water.

I think the scarier thing is what is going to happen to our water supply if we continue to purchase water. Will this then give license for our tap water to turn to terd-juice? If you think you are safe because you drink bottled water, think again. Do you shower? Your skin is the largest organ in your body and absorbs EVERYTHING. What do you cook with? Wash dishes with? Wash vegetables with?

So here I go. Kiss my ass, Aquafina. I am not naive, Evian. And don't you ever, Dasani. Tap water is muy tasty and quite the bargain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home