Tuesday, September 27, 2005

How deep is your love?


As you loyal readers may know, I am venturing back to the scary world of undergraduate education to get a degree in English. Yes, yes, I know, I probably don't need it considering I am already, like, the bestest writer ever. However, I decided the coursework and exploration of an undergrad would be more exciting than the elitist research of a graduate degree in English. I have been proven wrong a few times. For instance, the course I am subjecting myself to is mostly taken by "Rec and Leisure" majors. Really, there is such a program. At first, I thought it was a joke, like what undeclareds would say, but no, Brock does indeed offer a college degree in camp counseling. That's where we stand out from Harvard. No R&L there! Ha, Ivy league!
Back to the course, I find the prof to be super; she is animated, interesting, and most importantly, open to students' ideas. When in lecture, somebody contributes with a thought or interpretation that she was not perhaps anticipating, she is excited and open to the possibility. The TA, however, dismisses it with the flick of her wrist. She also pointed out the poem we were reading today from the 1950's had a reference to the sedative drug Halcion because the word halcyon was used once in the poem. Okay, Halcion was approved in 1982, this poem was written in 1956 and also there is the whole difference in spelling thing. But that's okay, because even the pros make that mistake (read this link for a pretty funny article). And the TA pointed out a character flaw I didn't realize I had until today: I am too deep. She should maybe read my very deep blog on America's Next Top Model. I mean, that's practically Freudian and shit. So what to do when your TA is not the brightest bulb in the box? Keep yo mouth SHUT. That's right, cause she does the grading, so...yup.
My hopes are that the upper level courses are a little more interesting and the students have a little more to contribute otherwise I might pursue my studies independently. Because I am just that fuckin' deep.

3 Comments:

Blogger madness rivera said...

You should change your major to Deep Leisure.

Actually, that about sums up my highest goal in life.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous bored chemist said...

This is for your retarded TA...i hope she at least has nice t and a's!

halcyon \HAL-see-un\, noun:
A kingfisher. By modern ornithologists restricted to a genus including a limited number of species having omnivorous habits, as the sacred kingfisher (Halcyon sancta) of Australia.

adjective:
1. Calm; quiet; peaceful; undisturbed; happy.
"Deep, halcyon repose." --De Quincy.
2. Marked by peace and prosperity; as, "halcyon years."

"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) declared Halcion safe and effective in 1982, and many doctors and patients obviously like it." -Newsweek August 19, 1991

2:58 PM  
Anonymous pix said...

huh. and i just met an "Arts + Culture" major... Brock is very creative with their majors, yes indeed. + yes, I did almost ask her: so what exactly does one do with a BA in Arts and Culture - but we all know that always leads to : what exactly does one do with a BA?

ps-wait? rec and leisure has it's own bachelor? you graduate with a 'b.r.l.s? wow, i'm *learning* so much.

pps-email me, s'il vous plait? pixie[dot]rae[at]gmail[dot]com

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home