Saturday, September 03, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush

I have held off on reading about the devastation in New Orleans and Southern US for when I could handle it. After reading the details, all I can say is how much longer are we going to be so cruel and heartless towards our fellow human beings? Mr. Bush, you knew this hurricane was coming, we all did. We knew it was going to be a big-ass storm and devastate the coastal regions. We also know that New Orleans is a city filled with people in less fortunate situations than us (ask Susy, my spicy Cuban who worked as a nurse in an ER there). They don't have anything. Let me repeat, Mr. Bush, they have NOTHING. Do you know what it feels like to check your bank account and not have anything in there and have no one else to turn to for money? When the government is telling you to evacuate the city and it’s the end of the month and you are like, evacuate? With what money? Can you lend me $50 for bus fare? No? I didn't think so. You, Mr. Bush, you have no grasp of what it means to be a president. You thought it would be all fun and games, like Daddy. But here's the truth, shit happens and as president you need to do your damndest to PREVENT it. Prevent, man, not go to war afterwards. I don't give a shit who you bomb afterwards, it doesn't change the fact that tragedy has struck many times while you are at the helm. I was mindfucked when you were elected the first time. I thought, hunh, you have good friends because there was no way you would have become prez if you were a nobody. Then the second term...WTF? What happened, people?

Okay, back to New Orleans. My questions for you, Bushy-poo:
1. Why didn't you help the people in the area evacuate to safety before the hurricane hit? We had warning; did you not get notified of this?
2. Why the fuck did it take you so long to respond? Too busy on your ranch?
3. What are you going to do now? Who will you blame for this tragedy? Which country will we bomb now? I don't see a logical next step, but I am sure you and your war birds have one.
4. Can we impeach a president for stupidity, immaturity, and lack of effectiveness? Cause I want to.

If my rants have only confused you all out there, then I am sorry. I have Bush flare ups where I want to burn my US passport and stay here in the Great White North forever. Here is a lovely quote of optimism from George W. (weetarded, thanks Joffre!) Bush:

THE PRESIDENT: We've got a lot of rebuilding to do. First, we're going to save lives and stabilize the situation. And then we're going to help these communities rebuild. The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)

I'm so happy for Trent Lott and his fantastic house.

My final note on a rather serious entry is this:

Citizens of New Orleans and other victims of Hurricane Katrina:
You are in my thoughts and my heart and I am sending out as much love and compassion and positive energy as I can. I am going through my home right now and finding anything anyone might be able to use and donating my paycheck for the week to the Red Cross. I can't imagine what this time in your lives must feel like, but I know it must be unfathomable pain. It may feel like many people have abandoned you; it’s not true. There a millions of people looking out for you and donating what they can. I cry with you and am angry with you and will fight with you for your lives to return to normal.

The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next.

- Mignon McLaughlin, "The Second Neurotic's Notebook"

1 Comments:

Blogger Belinda said...

Did you throw up in your mouth a little when you addressed him as "Dear"? I'm afraid I would.

Wanna get a little more enraged?
http://www.creators.com/opinion_show.cfm?columnsName=miv

I live in Arkansas, and we're doing everything we can, and our hearts are just breaking. Mine is especially breaking for those Louisiana Nat'l Guardsmen who are presently in freakin' IRAQ. Can you imagine how they feel?

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home